Prague Travel Guide

 

About Prague - New Town

Do not expect something ultra-modern architecture, even this Prague's quarter is called Nové město - New Town. The town was founded back in 1348 by the Emperor Charles IV – who personally kept an eye on the progress of the construction work – as an independently administered city, and covers the area south and east from the Old Town.

Later, New Town was connected with other Prague central parts into one. The fortification around New Town destroyed in 1875 covered around 7 square kilometres – it is twice as large as the Old Town.

New Town is Prague's main commercial district with businesses, hotels and banks. You can find here also many culture, such theatres, cinemas, museums, and an opera house. The town was built in Gothic style during the Charles IV, but most of today's buildings came from 19th and the early 20th century, when this Prague quarter underwent great reconstruction.

Do not miss in the New Town

The main axis of the New Town is created by three large squares, that served as a markets when built: Horse Market (Koňský trh, now Wenceslas Square), Cattle Market (Dobytčí trh, now Charles Square), and Hay Market (Senovážné náměstí).

The most famous landmark is of course the commercial and tourist centre - Wenceslas Square, 750 metres long and 60 metres wide. There is a statue of Czech patron, St Wenceslas on the top of the square and you can find many shops, hotels and restaurants on the square.

Other landmarks in the New Town include National Museum, Prague State Opera House, Museum of the City of Prague or National Theatre.

Charles Square with its New Town Hall also woth seeing while in Prague. The Town Hall that served to its purpose until the end of 18th century saw the first Prague's defenestration.

There are several nice churches and monasteries in the area of the New Town (such as Church of Our Lady of the Snows, Slavonic Monastery, Emmaus Monastery or Jesuit College).

And do not miss to walk on two Prague's boulevards - Národní and Na příkopě – as they create the boundary between the New Town and the Old Town.